Join us one week from today for our September General Meeting on Thursday, September 28th, 7-9pm, in-person at the Seward Park Community Room on East Broadway. We plan to livestream the meeting on Facebook Live. We preemptively appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate the technology! On the agenda is a vote on a “Resolution for Making the Essex-Delancey Subway Station Fully ADA-Accessible”.
Currently, the Essex-Delancey the subway station is not at all elevator accessible. The closest elevator accessible subway stations to our neighborhood are:
- The L Train at First Avenue and 14th Street;
- The Broadway-Lafayette Station (B, D, F, M, 6)
- Canal Street (6 train only)
All of these are far from the Lower East Side / Two Bridges neighborhood.
We need to back up the politicians’ letter with more community support, partially to keep
the elected officials convinced this is an important community issue. We also want to bring in Senators Schumer and Gillibrand to our effort. We need to talk it up as much as possible in the community. Resolution:
1) The executive committee of the Grand Street Dems supports the community’s demand that the Essex-Delancey Subway Station be made fully ADA- accessible in the next immediate round of subway station modifications.
2) We request that our elected officials bring their influence and authority to bear on the MTA, the DoT, and the management team of Essex Crossing to include plans for an elevator-accessible station in the upcoming re-design of the neighborhood transportation and traffic infrastructure;
3) We request Community Board 3 bring its influence and authority to bear on the MTA, the DoT, and the management team of Essex Crossing to include plans for an elevator-accessible station in the upcoming re-design of the neighborhood transportation and traffic infrastructure.